Monday, August 24, 2009

Three Things

I had one of those ah-ha moments this weekend. My kids were in the living room watching TV, and I was in my bedroom working on some stuff. {read: scrapping} I went in there to check on them, and Max had covered the entire floor and couch with granola. He looked up at me when I walked in and said, "Uh-oh, Momma!" Then he grinned like the devil. Jack hadnt even NOTICED because his eyes were glazed over from too much TV.

And I thought to myself, my kids need my full time supervision. I know, it's not really rocket science, but I really hadn't thought it was true. But now I know. My kids need 100% of my attention 95% of their waking moments. And in theory its not so bad but in reality, my attention span can hardly stand it.

So I spent a few moments reflecting on this while i swept up granola, and I decided that each day, there are really only THREE THINGS that matter.

THE FIRST: MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LORD
It is the core of who I am and determines my character, the quality of my relationships, my patience level, my sense of hope, my productivity. Pretty much everything about me flows from this relationship, and yet so often this gets neglected in the hustle of the day. So hard for me to be still and quiet, and yet so essential to my sanity.

THE SECOND: PARENTING
God given responsibility and all, so Janet says, but in truth it is easy to skim on this one. I mean, it's not something you get a break from, so it is hard to "prep" for it, easy to get burnt out on it and hard to keep clarity and a proper perspective. But it is one of the most important things I do. I want to do it better. Not just get by but really raise my children to make right choices and to be godly people. It takes a lot more concentrated effort than I am giving it lately.

THE THIRD: FEEDING MY FAMILY
Like it or not, if I don't cook, we scrounge around for something to eat. Life is so much better when meals (& snacks) are planned for, shopped for & prepared sometime before 5 pm. This is my least favorite task for two reasons: 1) it requires preparation & effort and 2) my taste buds don't work, making me a really bad cook. I cant' even brown meat without making it tough. I would LOVE to take a course in cooking; I really learn better that way. But since that is not an option right now, I am going to start with what I already know and throw a few new recipes in at a time.

So as long as those things get taken care of each day, the day can be called a success. If I don't scrap a page...if I miss out on a really good deal...if I don't take a shower or wash a dish; as long as THOSE THREE THINGS get done, I will be happy. But oh, having the self control not to do all the other things that don't matter instead, that will be the hard part!

Joel gets home tomorrow. Didn't do anything on my list today; we went to the zoo w/some friends, because somehow it is school holidays {again} and Jack is home all week. So it was good to get out of the house; I hate to leave the house, but I am a better mother for it. (as long as we go places like the zoo where Jack can run around, as opposed to the mall, where his little neck gets the fire pinched out of it multiple times)

And on this last note, as I plan for tomorrow and hope to achieve my goal of focusing on 3, I wanted to share this layout with you from Jacks 2007 album:
These were the first pictures I ever took that made me catch my breath. They have been so special to me that I just couldn't scrap them. But since I really wanted them in Jack's album, I downloaded the template from SSD Cookie Decorating challenge & used the Forester's Wish Collab. I am pretty happy with how it came out, though I will probably scrap these photos again for myself whenever the mojo hits me.


3 comments:

  1. You've spoken of so many truths in your post! I don't have children so #2 doesn't apply to me. But I've been seriously neglecting #1. And it's NUMBER ONE! I put off reading my Bible and praying until right before bed, and I always fall asleep. And I don't even do it every day. So... thanks for the wake up call.

    So glad Joel is coming home tomorrow, I'm sure it's been a long three weeks for ya!

    I also have a hard time scrapping the photos that I really love, for fear of not doing it justice. But you're right, we can just scrap the same beloved photos over and over again, there's no rule. And with digital it's so easy to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great reminder...so many things in here applied to me and it was a good day to have that reminder.

    I actually love to cook, but haven't been very disciplined making the time to plan and get those meals on the table lately..that and it is a bit discouraging when your kids don't really like it!

    Glad that Joel is coming home tomorrow. I can only imagine how hard it has been to be without him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, between your parenting posts and Janet's posts, my parenting butt is being kicked. LOL Such great reminders.

    ReplyDelete